LT140 | Length: 1 day | Credits: up to 7 PDUs | Talent Triangle – Leadership
Whether you are negotiating with colleagues, managers, suppliers, customers, or strategic business partners, it’s critical to be able to understand and use a negotiation process that focuses on achieving outstanding business results.
Constructive Negotiation™ uses the metaphor of designing and constructing a building to learn a positive, productive way of thinking about, planning for, and implementing negotiations. Rather than taking an adversarial or competitive approach to negotiation, this program approaches negotiation as a challenging opportunity to build an agreement that meets the needs of all parties. You will work on a real-world negotiation that you will be involved in after completing the program. Throughout this process, you gain the confidence and skills you need to conduct a successful and constructive negotiation.
Objectives & Outcomes
- Analyze the process of a negotiation, know the milestones toward achieving agreement, and manage the process effectively.
- Identify important underlying needs for all parties and develop options for meeting them.
- Develop a plan for a negotiation.
- Choose appropriate behavioural tactics in any negotiation, formal or informal.
- Move others toward a more constructive approach while in an adversarial negotiation.
- Create strong, lasting, mutually beneficial agreements that meet the needs of all parties and build a negotiating relationship for the future.
Who Should Participate?
Individuals working in a project or team-based organization; individuals responsible for working with customers, suppliers, subcontractors, resellers, or service providers; individuals involved in continuous negotiation about priorities and resources.
What is Negotiation?
- Introduction to key definitions and concepts; identification of real negotiation opportunities for later practice; multi-party benchmark exercise.
- Review of benchmark exercise according to key concepts; presentation of process model; review of pre-work.
Negotiation Practice: Managing the Process
- Short exercises to develop awareness of how to manage the negotiating process.
Understanding Needs and Options
- Presentation and exercises for eliciting needs and developing options to meet them.
Tactical Attitude & Tactical Choices
- Presentation and exercise for selecting a tactical approach; application of concepts to a realistic negotiation situation; in-depth discussion and practice in making tactical decisions.
Negotiation Practice: Phases and Milestones
- Experience in managing all phases and tasks involved in a negotiation.
Planning and Implementing a Negotiation
- Introduction to and implementation of a negotiation planning process; putting it all together in a realistic negotiation situation; debrief lessons learned.
- Applying knowledge to informal negotiation opportunities.
Dealing with Unconstructive Tactics
- Practice in moving others toward a more constructive approach.
- Creation of an application plan for an upcoming negotiation.
Copyright © 2015 Barnes & Conti Associates, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. TidalShift is a Barnes & Conti Global Partner. These courses are used by permission from Barnes and Conti Associates ©2011