CM 140 | Length: 1 day | Credits: 7 PDUs
Today’s organizations run on influence. Influence enables you to build the relationships you need to get results inside or outside the formal power structure. To be successful in busy cross-functional organizations, you need to be skillful and flexible in the way you influence others.
This workshop with show participants some of the common effective methods and pit falls encountered when influencing others. We will establish a framework that participants can use to increase their influence. By walking through a number of scenarios we will demonstrate how to more effectively move your ideas into actions.
Participants will learn how to:
- Define “influence” as it pertains to projects, and understand the differences between responsibility, accountability, authority, and power
- Assess influence situations and apply appropriate strategies to achieve success
- Analyze how organizational structure and culture impacts the ability to influence
- Employ strategies to influence others in a virtual organization
- Create negotiation and communication plans
- Identify their preferred style of influencing others and determine the effectiveness of that style
This workshop utilizes short lecture, guided discussion, and hands-on application activities in small teams. Team activities are debriefed by the instructor through occasional team presentations.
Project Managers and team members who need cooperation on projects from others who are not directly reporting to them.
MODULE 1: Recognizing Influence Opportunities
- Definition of influence
- Stages of influence
- Influence opportunities in four major project phases
MODULE 2: Choosing Influence Strategies
- Influence strategies instrument
- Analysis of each participant’s influence tendencies
- Case studies to determine the most effective strategy to use in a situation
MODULE 3: Power, Authority and Influence
- Definition of power, authority, responsibility, accountability
- Self-assessment of participants’ power-oriented behavior
- Class exercise on power and influence
- Analysis of real-life power and influence situations
MODULE 4: Influence and the Organization
- How the organizational structure and culture impacts influence
- Influencing others in a virtual organization
MODULE 5: Plan to Influence
- Negotiating skills
- The importance of good communication when influencing
- Developing communication and negotiation plans