Length: 2 days | Credits: 14 PDUs | Talent Triangle – Leadership
Today’s organizations rely on teams to get things done and more than ever, team performance matters. Teams exist to produce results. Successful teams regularly assess their performance and results, so they can become more effective.
Team Effectiveness Coaching is a comprehensive process that creates high-performing, sustainable, and inspired teams. The process supports change over time. It reinforces team accountability for monitoring and improving team climate, operating methods and results. Teams learn and assess themselves using a model for sustainable high performance. The model focuses on 14 team performance indicators, including seven that support the team’s ability to produce results (Productivity indicators) and seven that create the team’s climate or culture (Positivity indicators).
Team Effectiveness Coaching:
- Works with the team as a system rather than a collection of individuals
- Is a team coaching process rather than a team building event
- Emphasizes leveraging of team strengths
- Focuses on achieving business outcomes and goals
- Provides teams with a common language and a clear process for implementing sustainable team change
- Measures results with pre- and post-assessment using the Team DiagnosticTM assessment
- Is customized to the issues, strengths and weaknesses of each team
Who Should Participate?
Teams at all levels of the organization including senior teams, leadership teams, project teams, sales teams, department teams, cross-functional teams, virtual teams and more. Clients use Team Effectiveness Coaching to address a variety of issues and opportunities. Sample situations when the process can positively impact your organization include:
- A team is high-performing and is looking for its next innovative edge
- A team is performing poorly
- The organization is in transition, and team effectiveness will be crucial for successful transition
- A team is undertaking an important project
- New teams are forming and want to “start off on the right foot”
- Unproductive communication patterns are impacting team performance
- A team is struggling with leveraging conflict into opportunity
- A cross-functional team wants to improve its work on shared deliverables
Objectives & Outcomes
- Learn mindset, skills and a model for team effectiveness
- Use the Team DiagnosticTM Assessment to identify current team strengths and weaknesses against 14 team performance indicators
- Engage in open and creative conversation about team purpose, goals and priorities on two levels: business issues and team dynamics
- Create action plans and ‘team commitments’ for working together and achieving results
- Apply collaboration skills to strengthen relationships and work more effectively as a team
- Enhance communication and accountability for sustained, high performance
- Measure progress with regular check-ins and a final re-assessment upon completion of the team coaching engagement
Design & Approach
Engagement Discovery & Planning
We begin with a discovery and planning meeting with the Team Leader and/or sponsor. The purpose of this meeting is to gain an understanding of current issues and initial goals and objectives. The engagement is customized to the client’s needs and designed in alignment with organizational and team goals.
The planning meeting also addresses team context and membership, how the process will be introduced to the team, the selection of up to 5 open-ended questions for the team assessment, and logistics and timing for workshop and follow-up activities.
Team DiagnosticTM Assessment
This anonymous online survey is completed by each member of the team. The assessment includes 80 questions related to the 14 team performance indicators as well as up to 5 open-ended questions customized for the team. The online assessment takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. Individual confidentiality is maintained as the team report is an aggregate of all responses. The focus of the assessment is on the team as a whole ‘system’, not on individuals. Assessment results give a deep and accurate profile of the team’s current state and possible next steps for team development.
Team Workshop (One Day)
The team participates in a full day workshop to review their results, introduce the Team Effectiveness Model, and create an action plan and commitments. Goals for continued team development are also set during this workshop. The workshop is customized based on client goals and team assessment results. Typical agenda includes:
- Goals for the day & Conditions for our success
- Best Team Exercise
- Team Effectiveness Model – Productivity & Positivity
- Our Team Assessment results
- The Four Quadrants
- Productivity Factors – What High Performing Teams Do, Our Team’s Strengths and Opportunities
- Positivity Factors – What High Performing Teams Do, Our Team’s Strengths and Opportunities
- Experiential learning content based on team needs
- Creation of Action Steps, Commitments & Accountabilities
Follow-up Team Coaching Sessions (90 minutes) x 4
The process includes four follow-up meetings designed to hold the team accountable for action plans and commitments, and to provide additional learning to support the team’s ongoing development. The team coach will plan follow up sessions with the team leader. The team will be involved in deciding on session goals, content and ‘homework’. Meetings are typically scheduled every 4-6 weeks and can be conducted in person or virtually if the organization has technology to support web conference meetings.
Repeat Team DiagnosticTM Assessment & Conduct Final Team Workshop (Half Day)
The assessment is repeated 6 to 9 months after the initial assessment. This allows the team and the organization to measure progress and plan for next steps. The follow up workshop is customized to reveal results, help the team leverage strengths and respond to current challenges. The team will also create a sustainment plan for supporting continued team effectiveness.
|Engagement Discovery & Planning||Team DiagnosticTM Assessment||Team Workshop(One Day)||Follow-up Team Coaching Sessions x 4(90 minutes)||Repeat Team DiagnosticTM Assessment||Team Workshop (Half Day)|
|Week 1||Week 2-4||Week 5||Week 9+ (every 4-6 weeks)||6-9 months after Initial Assessment||6-9 months after Initial Assessment|