Length: 2 days | Credits: 14 PDUs | Talent Triangle – Leadership
Supervising people can be tough, different personalities, motivations, fears, and goals all play into the dynamic that make up the people we work with. Further, it seems there are some people we just ‘click’ with while others remain a mystery. Great managers can read people. They know that employees have different skills, different concerns and different levels of motivation. These differences can lead to misunderstandings and conflict. Resolving that conflict, or better yet, preventing it from ever developing is integral to becoming an effective supervisor/manager.
This course provides managers with a simple, direct way to understand the different fears that drive much of the conflict and resistance they see. Through DiSC® managers learn their style of handling conflict and understand how that style might differ from their employees’ methods. Leveraging DiSC®, managers learn to adjust their style to the employee’s style and needs of the situation. This course is designed to help managers recognize the employee’s style, needs and adjust to garner better results from their staff and teams. By understanding how and why different people become threatened, managers can employ more effective skills for relating with people of all styles.
This course is intended for new supervisors, managers, project managers, team leaders, change managers, change agents, anyone in a leadership role.
Participants will learn how to:
• Read the DiSC ® style and developmental needs of different employees.
• Use DiSC® to recognize the fears and goals of their employees
• Recognize how their employees handle conflict differently than they do
• Understand the impact that their conflict style has on other people
• Adapt their management approach to match the ability level and motivation of their employees.
• Identify and reduce the opposition and resistance of their employees
• Develop employees that are more energized, efficient, and committed.
• Explore ways to improve their communication with each style
Complete DiSC® online.
• Discover four styles of behaviour and explore the general preferences of your style.
• Learn how to recognize the styles of other people.
• Learn how to address goals and fears to gain commitment.
• Learn how to think strategically and problem solve.
• Learn to adapt your communication to different styles.
• Learn about your leadership style when in conflict with others to prevent and resolve issues.
• Determine how your leadership style works for you.
• Learn to adapt your management approach based on willingness and ability.
• Develop an action plan for continued development.
• This is not meant to ‘pigeon hole’ or label anyone.
• This is a model used to understand differences and improve our leadership capabilities.
• There are no good or bad styles, there is no ‘best’ style.
• All styles have strengths and limitations.
• All styles can be more or less effective.
• People are a mixture of all styles